ENTERPRISE, Ore. – Northeast Oregon Economic Development District (NEOEDD) offers a free, six-week workshop series to help entrepreneurs and small-business owners build the basis for a successful enterprise. Register by Jun. 23 to reserve your seat in Wallowa, Elgin, Baker City, or La Grande. But, don’t wait—class size is limited!
Lisa Dawson has taught the Business Foundations program for more than ten years, and her students—existing and aspiring entrepreneurs in Baker, Union and Wallowa counties—continue to give her rave reviews. This hands-on class covers the basics of running a successful business: overhead and variable costs, goal-setting and sales projections, marketing, and other considerations, and brings it all together in a business plan.
Best of all, thanks to a Community Development Block Grant through Wallowa County, the classes are offered free of charge!
Workshops take place:
- Wallowa: Mondays, Jul. 10 – Aug. 14 from 6 to 9 p.m. at Wallowa City Hall, 104 N Pine St.
- Elgin: Tuesdays, Jul. 11 – Aug. 15 from 6 to 9 p.m. at Elgin Depot, 300 Depot St.
- Baker City: Wednesdays, Jul. 12 – Aug. 16 from 6 to 9 p.m. at HatchLab Baker, 2019 Main St.
- La Grande: Thursdays, Jun. 29 – Aug. 3 from 6 to 9 p.m. at Umpqua Bank, 1215 Adams Ave.
To register, call NEOEDD by Friday, Jun. 23 at 541-426-3598 or 800-645-9454, or email email@example.com. Preference is made to people with low-to-moderate incomes; income verification will be required.
The workshops last six weeks, with the following topics:
- Gaining Perspective: View business concept from a high altitude in order to define vision, set priorities, and get a good look at the main topics to be addressed.
- Laying the Foundation: Define line of business and analyze financial essentials, from overhead costs to break-even points.
- Getting into the Flow: Cover the financial bases of cash flow, sales forecasting, and financial documents.
- Mission & Markets: Revisit mission, discuss market research, identify and assess competitors, and target markets.
- Get the Word Out: Discuss creative marketing strategies and give peer feedback on product, or marketing materials.
- Goodbye & Good Luck: Present business plans and generate next steps.
Here’s what former class participants have to say about the Foundations class:
- “[I appreciated Lisa’s] low-key and helpful attitude, and her desire to help each of us regardless of our business choices.” –Participant in Halfway
- “I hadn’t looked at break-even point, overhead costs, and marketing costs before this class.” –Participant in Enterprise
- “[I valued] being able to get a grasp on my business intentions and the necessary work involved to be successful.” –Participant in Baker City
The Northeast Oregon Economic Development District’s mission is to provide resources and facilitate quality decision-making for the benefit of entrepreneurs, businesses and communities in Baker, Union, and Wallowa counties. Learn more about our programs and business support at www.neoedd.org.
# # #